Thursday, July 19, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Making Fabric Jewelry

Book Review:  Making Fabric Jewelry, 20+ Projects to Stitch, Fold, and Wear
by:  Marthe Le Van
from: Lark Publishing

Paperback, 144 pages, $15.95

Upon receiving this book, I quickly recognized the earring project on the cover.  Reading a little further, I've learned that this upcoming publication is was formerly published in hardcover format.  Yes - I know!  Because I couldn't resist it then and its in my library of jewelry design books!!  It was previously released as "Stitched Jewels."

This book is a truly refreshing approach to jewelry design.
None of the projects are out of reach in terms of cost, materials, or skills required.
If you enjoy any kind of needle work, or beadwork, THIS is something worth your time and attention.

The introduction is chock full of great information.  I learned a lot about what should be in a basic sewing kit, quality threads, sewing machines, and even basic hand stitches that I previously had not been taught.

The first project eases you into the comfort zone of working with fabrics by making a fabric covered button bracelet.  Three magic words - FABRIC - BUTTONS - BRACELET.  I should say, "You had me at Hello !"

The remaining 22 projects are all absolutely doable, not beyond anyone's reach, budget, or skill level.  Each one is interesting, pushes the way in which I viewed fabrics, and gives you an opportunity to even recycle scraps !!  You will fray, sew, stuff, add beads, glue, and gather to create truly unique pieces.

Careful, though - if you're a beader like me, you may have inherited a suppressed hoarding gene.
Fabric scraps could be next on your list   !!   *wink*

Enjoy !



4 comments:

  1. Looks like my kind of book. I certainly have enough fabric scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that book looks amazing. I'll have to add it to my wish list -- I actually have a ton of fabric scraps from the days when I hoarded fabric instead of beads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i just find out great solution for using my fabric scraps. I would try to do some original items, and will come back with feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this in the book store and thought it was so incredibly clever!

    ReplyDelete